Review PF Exhibits 06-07-03

At 10:22 AM -0400 6/7/03, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated 07 June 03. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Jim Davis - Spotbilled with ducklings

Our cygnets get eaten by snapping turtles. The composition is pleasant enough, although it seems as though the birds are a bit soft. I kinda wish the water were blue, somehow, and one or two of those bills were facing the viewer.

Jeff Spirer - Laundry

Great color. Like the contrast between the squiggles of the trousers and dresses and all those orderly awnings and shutters!

Pini Vollach - Laundry

Interesting perspective reflecting the wind blowing the sheets.

Bill Ellis - Windmill

Layers. I think I would have burned the sky and windmill so it wasn't quite so pale.

Will Coveleskie - Daniel

A nude with an obscured face. Not totally obscured, but not so's you can see into it and determine anything about the person. Terribly even light and soft focus really removes the dimension from the body. Presumably that's what the photographer wanted. But I remain interested in the person, not the body.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos - My wife pregnant, high key.

Another concealed face. And it's interesting that the face is so concealed by the hair that there's really only a belly here, functionally. But I kinda like the symmetry of round shapes - belly, breasts and head all lined up. Don't quite understand whether the open legs are intended to be significant. Nice white on white.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Buster Riley

Dog mouth. OK. Not sure I see a smile here.

Dan Mitchell - The Flag

Lots of points of view here - she's not particularly looking at the flags, they're not particularly leading in any direction. On my monitor the Union Jack doesn't seem to be quite accurate but the German flag looks about right. Did you do anything to keep the fluorescents from being green? Disparate elements are coming together into anything for me.

Bob Talbot - Perspective

Bob, you do come up with the funniest ideas! Yes, it sure does illustrate perspective, but then the sidewalk alone would have done that. Sorry about the sky not working out. What did it look like? And what's the significance of the faces' facing? Looks slightly overexposed to me. Additive multiple exposures are tricky to calculate.

Christopher Strevens - AAAH

Well, Chris always has had a strange sense of, uh, humor, but this illustration doesn't connect with me at all. About all I can contribute is that it looks like it was done by a child, the drawing part....

Gustaf L Bjerne - What my eyes saw

Lots of eyes to consider here. But these visible ones have nice highlights in them so they aren't lost in the face. And the eyes are the window into the personality, I believe, along with the posture. These eyes seems to have a veil of caution in them. On my monitor the red's a bit on the unreal side, and I have a hunch that the skin tone is also, having lots of red in it. But if there was some fill flash making the highlights in the eyes, the balance is spot on - no real evidence of fill flash except the eyes.

-- Emily L. Ferguson elf@cape.com 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography Beetle cats on the web at: http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf http://www.beetlecat.org/store.html#yrbook