Re: Gallery Review 5-31-03

Heaven's Eye
Beautiful shot and aptly named. No need to open the outer edges. Strength
in the rocks below and glory in the lightening.
Aspen, Colorado
Great use of imagery. Good to see the blurring lights and not what may
have caused the light. I can see no reason to guess what this finger is
pointing to. Just the fact that it is there gives rise to all sorts of
interpretations.Personally, though I would crop out most of the empty
space on the top and bottom to give more attention to the variation of
colors and lighting. Good job!
Gilford Cathedral
Immense! I can tell a lot of work went into this shot. Beautiful
variation in depth and color tone. Perhaps cropping in from right and
bottom up to third step, cutting out horizontal lines to attract more
attention to the vertical. Altogether, though, a great composition.
Street Portrait
In a word, perfection! Everything this person endures is written on his
face; the agony in the lines across his forehead, his need of razor and a
place to bathe seen in his beard and dirty hair. This shot makes me
really want to learn more about him, where he came from, what he used to
do, how he got to where he is. Or maybe he's a billionaire who just went
fishing and can't seem to get the wiggling worm on his hook?
Passer-by
My first thought was, "This has to be staged." But then I've lived long
enough to know that, "If you wait, the shot will come!" Or maybe it
really is staged. Will you tell us, Bob? One of my favorite things is
strong light and shadows. (Which I'm not always able to capture in my own
shots.) Which is what first caught my eye, love it. But then I found
myself back to wondering, is this staged? What is that woman looking at
if not the things she spilled. Did she really loose her shoe? Maybe she
did. It's happened to me before.
Dupont Circle Fountain
At first glance, not much in the way of light and shadow, but then that's
the way most snowy days are. When the sun comes out, the snow melts. This
composition is nearly perfect with the two trees in the front, even with
the path leading off to the right slightly. The picture would have been
way out of balance were it not for the red umbrella which brings the eyes
right back towards the middle again. It reminds me of the foreign film,
"The Red Balloon". If I had a gallery, I would display this one. Only one
thought, the person next to the tree on the left, perhaps could be
blotted out.
Spring in Victoria
Beautiful color, great composition. One of my favorite subjects. How many
shots of the flowers did you have to take to get this one? I find that I
have to take nearly 100 to get maybe 10 that I like. Also, can you tell
me what flower this is? I'd love to have it in my own garden.
Happy Herons
Again, another great shot (in my opinion) with wonderful color saturation
especially in the birds faces. Was this photo touched up at all? It does
appear there is a little more focus on the foreground and not the birds -
but then that could be my old blurry eyes!
Military Man
Again, another beautiful shot of my favorite subject. And yet again,
wondering if there was any touch-up going on to enhance the flower
itself. If not, can you give me the details on how you made the flower
stand out against the background?
Ticiana
Sorry, all naked bodies look the same to me with size being the only
variation. I just don't find nakedness to be artful, not to mention
UNromantic. Give me a clean-shaven man in a full dress suit and tie any
day. And women are far more beautiful with some wonderment left. No other
comment. And no comments on the comments made on my comment.
Traffic Jam on the Way Home
Perfect depiction of aggravation! Another near perfect shot in light and
composition. I might remove the sky down to the signs at the top and
maybe a little off the bottom and right. Otherwise, one more great shot
of life.
wtc site
Manipulated, filtered, both?
Shyrell Melara Photography