Re: Technical question

I do not know if it is normal for a Leica but I own a new Voigtlander (Cosina) 21mm Color-Skopar screw mount which does exactly that - the rangefinder does not couple for the last meter or so of close-up range. I suspect it was a manufacturing compromise based on the fact that one does not use close up much on a wide angle lens (esp. 21mm!) and they simply couldn't design enough reach into the barrel - bothered me when I first discovered the problem though, thinking I had a faulty example.
AndrewF

I've been playing with a Leica IIIf recently and I noticed that the focusing scale on the 35mm Summaron goes down to 1 meter but the rangefinder doesn't seem to operate at distances closer than approximately 2 meters. I removed the lens and sure enough, the part of the lens that actuates the rangefinder doesn't extend far enough into the camera body at close distances to activate the rangefinder.

I have almost no experience using rangefinder cameras and I'm wondering if this is normal for a Leica? Is it normal for all rangefinders with removable lenses? Is something really out of whack with my little slice of German heaven?

Greg Fraser