Re: A Burning Issue

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> writes:

> I thought it was reclose, but I suspect it's resave.  Of course, if
> you change something in File Info, Photoshop then regards the file as
> changed and insists that you resave...

You can open (i.e. read) a file a zillion times, and nothing in it will
change. I don't know quite what "reclose" is supposed to mean; normally
"closing" a file doesn't _do_ anything to the file. What does change a
jpeg image is recomputing the coefficients to recompress and writing the
file out. And if you write over the original, of course you lose it.

Actually, there is nothing to stop a decent bit of software from
resaving the jpeg file with the image data completely unchanged, while
amending the annotation in the file - there are programs out there to do
things like lossless rotation for example.

I like the bit about Photoshop "insisting"... what is it threatening if
you don't comply? Jail? I know it's from Adobe, but surely that would be
a bit much...

Incidentally, to the OP: Wouldn't it be easier to give people their
(low-res) photos on the Web, rather than a CD-ROM? (Either private or
public). Looking at a low-res picture on a Web page looks quite
reasonable, but giving someone a CD-ROM 1% of which is images looks a
bit mean, doesn't it?

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: