Gallery Comments for 2003-05-24

Work on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes:

>          Robin G. Ramos - Precious Pearl
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ramos.html
OK, a contrived image but quite clever nevertheless.
The two lads were having fun - that comes over from the smiles - and
so too I guess was the photographer.

As a thumbnail it looked fantastic: full size though technical flaws
became apparent. Yes, it was backlit and it looks like fill flash was
used to help out but it has given unpleasant reflections from the
teeth / lips.  There is just not enough detail for me in the shadows.

Nice warm tone to the sky.

>          Marilyn Dalrymple - Waiting for a Home
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/dalrymple.html
Again, as a thumbnail I anticipated this being an absolute stunner:  I
loved the composition.  Full size?  Still like it a lot but for me it
is let down a little by two things
1) the plant spray - destroying the olde-worldy feel
2) just too tight cropping (and nit quite plumb either).  For me it
needs just a tad more room around the window.  Probably there was no
choice to avoid clutter but that's still how it looks,

Nice idea Marilyn.

>          Janine C. Hanson - St. Jerome with Fresco (Venice, Italy) -
2000
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/hanson.html
Weird concept: odd to have the subject (statue) in duller available
light (with a blue cast) while the background is well lit and
colourful.  The lamp just to the right of the statue is just too
strong for me - but I guess it was what was there.

I don't dislike it but I'm finding it hard to get excited.

This is one to make me think ...

>          Judy Curiel - Barn with two holes
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/curiel.html
Barn, abstract, metal, paint, mesh and a couple of holes.  All the
potential for a superb abstract but something I can't quite pinpoint
is letting this down.  It seems to lack the feel of texture.  Is it
totally in focus or a hand-held shot? There is also a lack of real
"zing" in the colours (despite being sat-upped in PS).

I feel I should like it more than I do - it has no distractions and is
carefully framed - but it's not grabbing me.

>          Linda Wilson -
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/wilson.html
A lot of potential - foreground led by the fence to the doorway -
background, a cathedral?

It was thoughtfully composed yet as presented I feel two things could
have improved it.
A) A minor tweak to the levels in PS to give it just a bit more
contrast - maybe that is personal taste.
B) A 3 degree rotation counter-clockwise.  At first I thought it was
"verticals" but now I think it was a duff horizon.  The slope ain't
enough to be "creative" so IMO works better stood up straight

>          Lea Murphy - Triangles (homage to Ruth Bernhard)
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/lmurphy.html
Well, bare flesh moving South?
Certainly it's not a glamour shot - just a piece of reality.
I really don't know how to comment ... it's clearly well taken and a
planned (composed) shot.
Is there tension in those belly-muscles or just  incidental folds of
skin?

Triangles? Yup, see them ...

>          Bob Talbot - Peacock
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html
Yes, right... who said females are better looking than the chaps?
Oh, after submitting this I went to Greg's site and found an almost
identical image - maybe it was one of Vlad's though - but if I'd seen
that first I would not have subbed this ...

>          Gregory david Stempel - Pillows in the Sun
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/stempel.html
Effective use of the shadow-pattern from the venetian blinds.
Quite like this shot, don't mind the shadows in the background (I
think they help).  The shadow on the near cushion (half way down on
right hand side bothers me though).

How do you make a Venetian blind?
Stab him in the eyes with a sharp stick.

>          Dan Mitchell - waiting
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html
Street photography?  Moment in time?
ANCE LEICESTER - - - - - - Quality
Words in a photo seem to shout - when there they seem to need a role
and I can't connect to it.

Title is waiting:  the two blokes are waiting but for what and why
should we care?
Two other flat caps (Austin metro drivers - religious adherence of
30MPH limit?) in the background seem to add just clutter.

I can't read a story here beyond the fact it is a picture of two
blokes waiting ... maybe the hidden message is that there is nothing
worth waiting for with so few hours before death.

It looks just like I was stood there - I'd have missed the shot
though, the picture would not have been taken ....

help!!!

>          Rand Flory - Dinner
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/flory.html
Very tasty ...  the food ... tea not far away and anything resembling
food grabs my interest.  In an hour's time, hunger sated, the picture
would look totally different.

OK Rand, the bad news --- the nearest onion is overcooked
(photographically speaking) while still raw in real life.  I wish you
had turned it so we were faced with the textures of the cut face.

>          Jim Davis - Coot Chicks
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html
This has to be my favourite this week despite a few minor
observations.

The two bird are dead central but looking left ...
My first crop would take away 56 pixels from the base (losing some of
the OOF lily leaves)
My next crop would remove 84 pixels from the right - I'd like more but
not at the expense of cutting the lily flower in half.
I'd probably experiment with a tiny bit more unsharp mask (100%, 0.3,
1)

But despite all that - it looks a natural shot of two cute little
birds ... and there is a natural quality about the leaves I like too.
Reflections?  A polariser might have subdued them but they don't
bother me.  Indeed, it's impressive to have good exposure on the
birdlets with such strong backlighting.

An enjoyable gallery - thanks to all the contributors ...

Bob