gallery comments 22/05/03

My thoughts upon viewing the current exhibition at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
-----------------------------
John Edwin Mason - John D'earth and Conrad Herwig
An intense concert moment. Maybe could be intensified by cropping the
microphone part on the right.

David Small - Walk in Water
Dark and surreal. I like the reflections on the building, and the
straight vertical lines in opposition to the blurry softness of the
water. Maybe a bit off balance by the darkness on the right.

Dan Mitchell - Pulley
Nice and contrasty colors and shapes. Well composed.

Rand Flory - Autumn at Beck Lake
Why the silly border?  Very effective image. Good contrast
light-darkness. Looks like mother nature is going in with some heavy
showers very soon.

Jeff Spirer - Maple Shack
Very moody. Maybe a bit too cluttered to keep attention on the person
looking out the window.

Greg Fraser - Hidden Meaning
At first the overall design reminded me of a swastika. Then I looked at
the details, and sure enough; more swastika! Originally a symbol of the
Sun - an interpretation supported by the bright yellow color. Hidden
meaning? I think it was pretty obvious... (you asked for it! ;-)

Don Draper -
The underside of some leaves, with some out-of-focus flowers cluttered
in. It seems to me the light is disturbing more than presenting the
subject, and the branch does not look good on the grey background. Maybe
on a different backdrop, with the light from another direction, and the
flowers opening towards the viewer. Maybe this is a very deliberate
shot, but then I don't get the point.

jIMMY Harris - A SUNSET...
Dark and moody. It lacks a bit of sharpness in the clouds (hand held or
just difficult focusing) Otherwise I like it.

Jim Davis - Fairy Reflection
Your birds usually don't appeal much to me, but this one is different.
It has a soft dreamy feel to it, made by the speckle reflections, the
fluffy feathers and the soft pinkish colors. It's not a bird photo, it's
an image of a dream or a fairy tale.  Never mind it's not entirely sharp
- it shouldn't be.

Andrew Davidhazy - Warped outlook
This is fun. And from the description I guess it was fun making it!

That's it for now.

Cheers all,
Thomas