Gallery Impressions 22 May 03

My eclectic opinions on this week's PF Gallery as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

John Edwin Mason (John D'earth and Conrad Herwig) - I see this as a very strong image. Shifting focus to the background person leaves no doubt this image is about him and not that son of a bitch in front of him once again stealing the limelight. The diagonal lines of the trombone and the way it slices through the other person's head emphasize the tension. The stare reveals the inner thoughts - "Now where did I keep those pipe bomb plans I got off the internet?" I like this shot very much since, to me, it transcends the setting and the professions of the two subjects.

David Small (Walk in Water) - This image looks loud to me. I hear city din while looking at the image. The people are almost lost in the surroundings but I don't get that 'insignificant individual in the big city' feel. Although there are a multitude of little details, I can clearly see the basic lines and shapes of the composition. The whole image feels solidly balanced and anchored where the right hand side of the left hand building meets the top of the water. The people walking in the oil slick keep the image from being too static and serious. Neat.

Dan Mitchell (Pulley) - I like the way the light streaks on the boards look like teeth on a saw blade which could easily sever that rope sending the piano suspended from it crashing to the busy street below. I also like the combination of lime green, salmon and gray. Like a smorgasbord of almost offensive colors. Good eye Dan.

Rand Flory (Autumn at Beck Lake) - I like the combination of golden leaves on the rich, dark backdrop. The composition seems peaceful balanced with everything fitting into its place. Even the menacing clouds form themselves nicely between the mountain peaks. Having two trees seems too dull to me though. I would have chopped down one of them for the shot.

Jeff Spirer (Maple Shack) - Aside from the steam, this shot is not really thrilling me. I've been in a sugar shack far less luxurious than this and the heat and steam was overpowering. I'm not getting that oppressive feeling from this image but then I suppose that's personal bias and maybe has little to do with the image. All I get is the impression that this guy just isn't bright enough to open a window.

Greg Fraser (Hidden Meaning) - Well I love yellow and this image has a hint of it. I like the 'S' shapes formed by the opposite edges of the petals opposite each other. I also like the way the stamens seem to be forming characters in some language I don't know. I'm amazed that the majority opinion of this image is, at best, indifference. Am I that insane already?

Don Draper - The lighting is nice with frosty highlights and some translucency on the leaves. The focus is sharp and the colors are nicely rendered. A very competent record of this plant.

jIMMY Harris (A SUNSET - It happens everyday) - Not like this it doesn't. Not where I live. This looks to me like a post-apocalyptic, nuclear winter kind of thing. Very moody.

Jim Davis (Fairy Reflection) - This reminds me of the set designs from my sister's ballet recitals when we were kids. The eye looks a little fuzzy on my monitor but I imagine that's due to downsampling. The title is quite appropriate.

Andrew Davidhazy (Warped outlook) - Oh Andy, Andy, Andy. You really need to come to grips with reality. You and I both know this was taken with a regular old Pentax. Listen, the opinions of people who would be offended by your physical characteristics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. So you've got three heads! So what! Sure they had to enlarge all the doors at RIT for you but come on! Accept it! I do!

Thanks to all our weekly contributors and HTML butchering gallery staff.
Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery