Re:Re: Gallery Review of 2003-05-10

    If a photograph only holds meaning for its maker, then it is a fetish for memory, what Arnold Gassan used to define a snapshot.

    My unasked-for advice here is to go back to that swing.... at different times of day, on different days and seasons with your camera. Sit there and reminisce....get on it and use it....photogrph from it, while in motion.... see it in different kinds of light...including night time and in the rain. Show us what you feel.

 How can one expand one's vision to create a photograph that will convey to others some of what one feels ? Something less internecine and more universal ? How does one put into a print things that are invisible ? This is a real challenge for every one of us. Think of this as an opportunity to grow, a gift.

 We all were children (even Bob Talbot ! :), all swung from swings on  carefree idyllic days that we can remember, but less  so relive.

   You might want to Google up the work of Lynn Conner (might be Connor) and Clyde Butcher, both of whom lost a son, and were deeply affected photographically by their grief. Also, there is a small book by Kertesz, done while he was grieving after his wife died, that is well worth looking at.

    --- Luis

Bob,
So sorry my first entry has disappointed you. Truth  is, this photo will never hold meaning for anyone but me. Or perhaps parents. Especially those who've had to see one of their children laying cold and stiff in a coffin. I also have one of my son in his. I'll post this too. But I won't be reading any reviews on it.

As for trees and shadows, you're probably right, nothing earth shattering here. Which is why I knew ahead of time that I would have to add my comments to the submission.

Keep reviewing. Now I am challenged. You 'will' appreciate my work before I am through! : o

Shyrell