Re: Color Management other than w/PS

Russell Baker <rebphoto@pronetisp.net> wrote/replied to:

>Do I have my head up my butt
>or is there some reason I should
>shooting these as a Tiff and getting
>a 11.4 meg file instead of SHQ jpeg
>at about 1.7 meg?

I I am shooting JPG in camera, I always convert my raw JPG to TIF if I
need to work on it and want to save the 'corrected' version.

But, raw files mean you have at least one stop more latitude as far as
extracting information without quality loss. But that only means you
can made corrections later and retain quality.

So, if you carefully shoot the proper white balance, balance your
exposure and histograms properly, the JPG file will need no
manipulation nor colour balancing.

You can do a final sharpening before printing but there is no need to
resave the original camera JPG.

Just make sure you copy it to a backup regularly.

Other tips: turn off, or at least turn down in camera sharpening to
minimum or off.

If you can, use presets for saturation, contrast and stuff in camera
that really helps get a final image straight out of the camera.

If you have some really great opportunity, and/or you know you've got
something good in front of you, flick the camera into raw mode and
shoot. You don't have to shoot everything in raw. One of the great
things about the 10D (dunno about your camera) is that the menu can be
set to return to the last item used, or defaults to the top item,
which is raw/jpg quality/size selection so it's really quick to
change.

So I do shoot in raw mode when I'm doing some serious shooting, but I
generally have the camera set for HQ JPG.

Possibly as I get more used to the camera and use it more, I'll shoot
everything in raw mode, but converting is a hassle, and since I'm new
I'm shooting all kinds of 'stuff', I'm using JPG quite a bit.

Printing Tip: I have an Epson 890 photo printer. I have read this and
apply it at all times. Do not let your printer driver do any auto
corrections. I always use 'no colour corrections' with excellent
results. There are plenty of websites where you can check and correct
your monitor settings. Your PS 5.5 used Adobe Gamma, that will help.
You should be able to print what you see on screen most of the time
first print. For really large stuff I run test strips just like in the
old days.

Look here:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/
and here:
http://digitaldog.net/

For some excellent advice on colour management. There are articles on
PS 5.5 as well as newer versions.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/