Re: looky here, new thread, Gallery Review 2003-5-15

Rosemarie Hernandez wrote:
Luis--Know this poem (by the 17c. poet Robert Herrick)?

DELIGHT IN DISORDER
by Robert Herrick--

I had read this poem in college. Extensively discussed by our teacher Dr. Edilberto Tiempo, now deceased. I like it as well.

My goal in some of my photos, however, is not to find something pretty with a slight disorder in it, but to find an entire image that has conflict, either clear [journalistic], or suggestive.

I'm very much influenced by my educational training in literature and journalism, where literary conflict is desired. All good stories, whether news or fiction, begin with conflict. Perhaps, this preoccupation of mine also reflects the condition of my place: Protracted war in the south, for example.

There's a Chinese, or possibly Japanese, poem that I can barely recall. I forgot the exact translation, but it goes something like this:

Arriving from the funeral of my wife,
I headed straight to our room.
How wide the bed.
The image created here is photographic, isn't it? It doesn't say that the persona is acutely depressed. His condition is not stated. But from the picture, we can see: A conflict caused by the memory of desired presence, and the current absence.

Elson