Review of PF Exhibits 05-10-03

My slant on things;

Shyrell Melara: Never More

The image is too small to give a real opinion. Is there any detail in the
tree or tire? It appears to be an interesting image with subtle lighting
contributing to an exciting background, but again, the image is too small.
The story behind the photo definitely broke my heart.

Jeff McSweeney: Bedsprings

I am curious why the nude has not gone the way of the sunset, are we truly
voyeurs at heart? The is a strong image. The exposure has balance that leads
the viewer exactly as you might expect, from the girl to the bedsprings and
then finishing with the room. The comp seems heavy on the lower third, but I
see this as necessary to complete the image instead of a distraction. The
girl's body posture and the fact her "form" is not like the skinny models we
see today, are both reminiscent of the early works when that style was in
vogue.

A question for the audience: Why are photographers, after more than a
hundred years of photography, still photographing nude women? And why do we
still have this taboo about nude men? Are we truly artists when we allow our
prejudices to interfere with our spirits?

Dan Mitchell: Horses

This is a tough image to provide an opinion. It has all of the elements of
being a wonderful image, but there is something lacking in the approach. The
horses are too small in the frame. They seem insignificant, the scene
itself takes front stage.
Is there a third white horse in the front of the other two? And is that a
bird in the foreground? I am also curious are these questions a result of
the resolution of the original digital file? I do like the comp and overall
ambience of the scene.

Elisha Page:

Never understood why we add the film stock border information in the image,
I guess we are making the frame itself part of the artwork? It's all art.
The brick lines are crooked. I realize there is some curvature as a result
of the lens? Or, something achieved in photoshop? I like the sepia
treatment, the comp is bit boring but the antics of the subject liven things
up.

Gregory david Stempel: Fog in Ollala

I worked for about an hour trying to time the gull, and two rocks to form a
triangle. I shot an entire roll. The lens was actually set to about 175mm
and I chose not to use a warming filter.

Bob Talbot: Crab Spider

This image has probably sent a lot of us beginning macro shooters back to
the drawing board. My paltry 1:1 image of a like spider is now in a dark
closet where no one can see it. This is an awesome shot and yes, the eyes
are the true nature of this image. Everything about this image works and
provides a standard for this gallery. The caption was a great help in the
understanding of what was involved. A classic NGS approach to captioning.

Antonio Cid: Taberna

This is a great shot with some shortcomings. It's far too dark in the lower
right corner, which I found distracting. The overall scene has an unstable
nature about it, almost as if an earthquake is happening. I liked the choice
of black and white,  the comp works although the severity of the fov's
distortion is a bit too noticeable. I like the ambience depicting what
appears to be a good natured place to visit. The caption was informative and
a welcomed addition.

Jim Davis: unusual duo

In this case, the caption fails us. What is unusual? Are these two birds
generally not seen together? Jim's exposure is again a bit hot. The white on
the egret is blown out and lost all detail on it's back. In this case, that
is critical, the wind has kicked up some feathers but we lose that aspect do
to the lack of detail in the surrounding feathers, the upturned feather
becomes a blotch of white. I like the comp, and there is enough in the
surrounding frame to let us know where this is all taking place. A polarizer
would have helped to lose the glare on the Lilly pads along the water's
surface. The title suggests we are seeing two birds as the central theme,
yet only one is focused.

Elson T. Elizaga: Lifeform

The wonderful fact about macro/micro photography is how it plucks new life
out of old subjects and gives us detail not part of our everyday
conditionings. Elson's image has done both. Alien yes, but only in our lack
of intimacy with subjects at this level of closeness. There is this nice
repetitive form, but the artist disrupted that flow which fills the framing
perfectly. Lighting is done well, comp is strong. This image could be used
in several formats, education, advertising or fine art.

Rand Flory: Spring at the Never Inn

Here is simple, well executed look at the beginning of spring. We have an
image rich in detail in it's subject, isolated from it's surroundings. We
have been given an opportunity  again, with the use of macro techniques to
see into the heart of this subject. The background is a bit distracting but
not as in the past submissions by Rand. In this case, the intrusion is not
as loud. The comp is bit flat for me, lacks dynamics. The lighting is nice
and even and apparently providing just enough highlights to get itself
noticed.

Thomas Fors: Sarah, 4 Years Old

A nice, warm image providing us a very pleasant natured composition. The
young girl seems happy, natural and filled with life. The tonal affect works
as does the soft focus. This image succeeds without question. I enjoyed the
touch of highlight on the top of the girl's head, as well as the casual
nature of her hair. The lighting is flattering, yet high keyed, leaving us
no detail in the skin. In this case that does not detract from the subject
or overall pleasant nature of this image. One for the gallery walls.

Sonney Lebay: koh samui mornings

Strong composition, but a tad unbalanced. Too much weight to the lower
right. The vignetting at the corners, should have cropped this out. Leaving
them in suggests a lack of inspection of the work or inexperience. Another
problem is the darkness in the lower right. The subject area is so tightly
placed into the corner the shadows have no where to go and bunch up down
there to the point of yelling at us. It has been my experience, if you have
deep shadows showing the shadow in it's entirety can sometimes allow play
with the contrast and becomes part of the ambience. But here, it's seems
more a lack of balance and just ignored or unnoticed. The shallow depth of
field was a good choice but I wonder if maybe one of the footprints should
have been included in the sharpness zone due to their already diffused
nature from being wet.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel

FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g