Gallery comments 10/05/2003

Hi all - some comments on this weeks exhibition at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

At first glance it looks very good - I like this excercise! Thanks all!

Shyrell Melara - Never More
Dark and evocative and sad.

Jeff McSweeney - BedSprings
Very expressive; abandonness, sorrow... the muted colors and the models
expression work together to create this feeling.

Dan Mitchell - Horses
The colors are lovely as is the way the light falls, but the composition
is a mess; my eyes can't find rest anywhere. Maybe from another camera
position could you have framed the horses between green trees, grass and
fences with attention on the horses. As it is there is too many elements
competing for attention.

Elisha Page -
Snapshot in big format :-)  OK picture, but my interest slips away ater
having appreciated the nice square format and the pleasing tonal
range...

Gregory david Stempel - Fog in Ollala
Greg, exclude the lower part with the rock on the left, but keep the
small rock on the right and you have a completely amasingly fantastic
image! I love the mood, the reflection ("a heavenly bridge") and the
composition speaks of dynamics, stability and eternity. Heavenly shot!
How many misses to get this one?

Bob Talbot - Crab Spider
Now that's a scary fella... boy, you sound like you had some fun doing
this! And it turned out very well.

Antonio Cid - Taberna
ahhhh, I could sit for hours in places like that. You really captured
the charm and spirit of the place (the happy faces, the relaxedness...)
The right part of the image is too dark, but it may just be my new
monitor...

Jim Davis - unusual duo
two birds... argh, you know what I'm going to say. The good point: good
tension in the birds.  Sorry... ;-)

Elson T. Elizaga - Lifeform
Very interesting. Good rhytmic composition, abstract. Evokes feelings of
natural wonders.

Rand Flory - Spring at the Never Inn
The bud is a little alone in the image (trying to make springtime
come...), but the background is a bit confusing (windows?) although
there is a bit of snow - I know it's snow because you said so, but it's
not clear enough.

Thomas Fors - Sarah, 4 Years Old
Soft classic child photo. And you really cought a good expression there.
Maybe her face is a bit too dark.

Sonny Labay - koh samui mornings
Lovely colors, good composition with footprints in the sand blurring
towards the distant rocks, also pointed to by the logs in the sand. The
logs are very dark on my monitor though.

That's it. Thanks for letting me be cruel to your images :-)  I feel I
learn a lot from this - hope it's useful for you as well.

Cheers,
Thomas