Re: PF Gallery Comments

Thanks Rand, Bob, and Gregory for reviewing my photo "Lifeform". The
"spike" is, indeed, "almost blown out", the light being harsh and hot --
direct sunlight!

Elson

In direct sunlight I have used a very cheap methood to diffuse the light - a sheet of white muslin  (a very cheap, almost mesh-like fabric).  Using clothes-pegs and bamboo canes it's easy to rig up a large area diffuser which, unlike many commercial ones, does don tompletely remove the directionality.  And it is cheap!.

<<<
Perhaps I can diffuse the light by putting the subject
in the freezer, Bob? :)

No, that will only cool the light ;o)

<<<
[I did get the clue from reading the details
about your shot, but only after I noticed the five exclamation marks.:)
Great image by the way, as usual.

OK:  I did wonder if you meant freezer or fridge.  There is a huge difference.  Domestic fridges set to 4 Celcius are unlikely to harm a shield bug / stink bug / assassin restrained in a jar for short periods.  In a freezer though the insect could be harmed by contact to the walls of the jar.

<<<
So, the "spike" is
greener, and the whole picture looks more dense. But the impact of a
less brighter spike is not as striking. The spike becomes an objective
plant part, not the semblance of a fang, which was what I intended it to
look like. >>>
If you were using a tripod (or the shots are very similar), you could selectively clone some detail from the spike onto the "over-exposed" image.  That way you might not lose all the effect you wanted from the contrast ...

Bob

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.