From: Gregory david Stempel [mailto:fyrframe@centurytel.net]
Sent: 13. maí 2003 04:40
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re:Learning The History of the Photograph as Art

Rand,

One point to start in understanding the history of photography as art is to learn about the efforts of two pioneers, Edward Steiglitz and Edward Steichen. The reason I suggest these two, is their fight to achieve the status of respect as art, the medium of photography. There was an extreme dislike for photography by the institution of art during photography's fledgling days.

Here are a few sites that may help you get started; http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/steichen/steichen.html
http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles1996/Articles0396/Camera
Notes.html

Another book worth looking into is entitled: Why People Photograph by Robert Adams from Aperture. Very insightful look at photography as art, as inspiration and culture. http://www.aperture.org/books_details.php?book_id=222

The Aperture Foundation is itself an important stop in any photographic search.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com