Gallery comments - 05/05/2003

Hi all,

enjoyed your reponse to my comments on last weeks exhibit. Sorry, did
not have time to reply, but will take time now to comment on the *new*
exhibit at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Cheers all - I really enjoy seeing your pictures.

Thomas

Marilyn Dalrymple - Chasing Shadows
Ohhh, I like this one. Love the play of light and shadow. Three balls
whirling through surreal space in a dynamic dance. The patterns of the
glass ball and its shadow suits the 'wheely' appearance of the table(?)
- I can't get a sense of scale here which is wonderful, as is the
placement and cropping of the objects. Have you made any more
experiments like this?

Elson T. Elizaga - Assassin
Right off the pages of National Geographic! Nice and crisp and clean.
Maybe not entirely sharp in one of the tentacles, but my monitor may
cheat me... Nice finish.

Rick Kessler - mmmm mmmm gooood
That's what I would have said that too had I been there...  Nice mood,
although I would have liked to see the shore from edge to edge, and not
cut out in the middle.

King/Arthur - Shoe Repair
>From the colors and the hues and the patterns, an effective photo. I
like symmetries and this one appeals at some level, although it's
normally not my "style". Without the "enhancement" I think it would have
been pretty dull.

Rich Mason
Nice reflections, and the idea of the flag on both sides of the glass,
one reflected, is neat. But I don't get overly excited... wrong
nationality I guess :-)

Dan Mitchell - Mill
You wanted "more than a picture postcard shot". You got something else
for sure, but I'm not sure I get the idea? This kind of ghastly hue for
the mill, and the black sky suggests unease or fear, but nothing else in
the image supports this, actually the rest seems quite idyllic and at
peace.  If that was indeed the idea, I find it only partly successful.

Kostas Papakotas - is that Dog Life?
Humorous as you say. And with your text it does tell a quite powerful
story. To hint at that story in the picture I think you would have to
add a bit more; it is hard to tell if this is a street, a shopping mall,
a back yard... Nice shot.

Robin G. Ramos - Ascending
Nicely seen image that demands some attention and thought. Not sure if
there is more in it than just the first visual impact...  The thing
coming out of the boys head disturbs me a little.

David Small:
A moment in life... You captured the mood very well with a well composed
image. Nothing else to add...

Christopher Strevens, LRPS - Busker at Kingston
Good colors and hues here, and I like the "oli painting" effect. I would
have liked her to be a bit better separated from the background though.

Jayanth Vincent - Indian Dance
Again, could have been from the National Geographic. However, the
resolution does not allow me to see the fine details that must be in the
picture, and the colors does not seem very much 'alive'.