Re: Discount Paper

No way!  it's my understanding that modern papers may be less age tolerant
than papers of old, some of the stuff that used to be added to emulsions is
no longer permitted for environmental reasons--cadmium and chromium come to
mind.

I did a Yahoo search and came on this tidbit (attributed to Ilford tech
support):

"Here's the answer given by the Ilford Technical Rep:

'I you have boxes of unknown age, you can call ILFORD tech support at (201)
265-6000. We can look up the batch codes to tell you when the paper was
made. ILFORD Black and White papers have a shelf life of three years from
the date of manufacture. Because of shipping and distribution times, you
should generally have two and a half years to use a box after purchase.
Gallerie and Ilfospeed papers can sometimes last longer, although they are
not warrentied after three years.  [Would seem to back up my observation
about graded vs. VC papers--mike]

Improper storage can shorten the life of any photographic product, so
testing may be required of any product of unknown history.' "

and the link:  http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001FRP

darkroommike