Re: Discount Paper

I've seen film that is seriously outdated and it had huge grain. I presume this is due to age and the emulsion losing its sensitivity to light. I'm wondering if the emulsion on paper is basically the same as the emulsion on film and if outdated paper exhibits the same characteristics.

I ask because I have yet to deplete my first package of photographic paper which is outdated Kodak RC. I'm printing 120 negatives and I feel that the images should be sharper and less grainy than they are.

Greg Fraser
Master of Funk
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery

I don't think using outdated paper would have that much effect on grain or sharpness. Usually the problem with outdated paper is fog. To help with this you could add benzotriazole to your paper developer. (Benzotriazole is a restrainer.) I use a product called Edwal Liquid Orthazite which is what happens to be available locally and, of course, contains benzotriazole.
--
Joe Miller