Thoughts on the PF members' exhibits 04-12-03

Fellow PhotoForum Folk,

Here are my thoughts concerning the PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit
space now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html:

Emily L. Ferguson:  "Skylight on mud ripples"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ferguson.html

I like this photograph. It is a study in shape and color and it works well.
I like the darkness and the mass at the bottom contrasting the lightness and
scarcity of earth at the top. I like the way the water is made real - and
alive -- with light colored lines denoting the movement around the mounds of
dark soil. The monochromatic blues begins to impart a feeling of meditation,
although the mood is somewhat diminished with the lightness (representing
hope?) at the top.

For me, however, there is one element that mars the perfection. One of the
earthy curves on the right, about one-third of the way from the top, is
split by the edge of the picture. Although my mind can complete the
curvature, it is then pulled into the white surrounding the image and I get
mentally lost. Perhaps I see this only because I have been there myself and
have never figured out how to handle the edges of a repetitive curved scene.
Would a black border "ground" that object? Or is this one of those
acceptable and unavoidable quirks that I should learn to accept as part of
nature?

Regardless, I like the image a lot. But I am a sucker for mood images.

Rand Flory:  "The Drink"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/flory.html

This is an interesting beginning that falls short. The napkin on the left
pulls the eye out of the photograph unnecessarily. It should have been
wholly contained in the photo. The candle in the upper left is directly over
the drink and competes for attention, and actually wins. The metal shaker on
the right does not balance the drink and candle.

This image should be reshot.

Dan Mitchell::  "News from Home"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

Mitchell presents us with a thought photograph. I like this image very much.
It is a well-executed theme photo that not only pulls our eye into the photo
with the "V" at the top edge of the newspaper, but it pulls our minds into
it as well. I love the ambiguity of the headlines, as it gives our
imaginations a chance to soar. As Mitchell suggests, the slightly
out-of-focus woman writing while a companion watches gives a certain
fertility to the creativity of the viewer. A theme photo without a defined
theme. Most excellent.

Judy Curiel
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/curiel.html

Hey, the horizon's crooked! But so what? This is meant to be an abstraction
of form and color, I suspect. There is a serenity conveyed by the curved
lines of the ship and the rope. The horizontal nature of the reflection of
the ship implies that it is the center of attention. The central positioning
of the reflection enhances this impression.

This image presents me with one of those love-hate relationships. I really
like the originality of this photo. It is daring and it works pretty well,
except that the objects in the photograph are a bit too real for my mind to
escape from the crookedness into a world of complete abstraction. And the
reflection is not quite real enough or bold enough pull me mind into
accepting it as the grounding element. I suspect if it weren't for those
ripples in the water showing what the true horizontal is, that I would like
this photo more.

The balance between the ship and its reflection against the pier in the
lower left is excellent. The ship's lines (the ropes), are wonderfully
presented as objects, reflections and shadows. These lines connect all parts
of the image to give it strength. The reflection of the ship shows shadows
under protruding objects on the ship, which contrast with the lightness of
the original, giving great interest.

Overall, I like this photo despite being distracted by the weird angle.

Rich Mason  "The Climbers"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mason.html

Without a title, I wouldn't have a clue what those three little specks are
on the horizon. With the title, I now recognize them (or at least accept
them) as people who are far, far away. But I still can't tell what they are
climbing. Are those large piles of ice on Lake Michigan that have been
crafted by wind, water and cold that are being scaled by intrepid explorers?
Are they climbing some type of hill on a distant shore? I just can't tell.

Despite the uncertainty of what is being presented, this image is able to
convey mood. It is cold. It is lonely out there. It is an adventure. It is a
good photo.

Gregory david Stempel  "Waiting For Another Run"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/stempel.html

This is good. The print is probably very good, but it loses a bit in the
translation to my computer screen. The darks are so dark that the "dark,
ominous appearance" of the truck disappear into nothingness. So I suspect I
am not seeing what Stempel is presenting. And I would like to be able to do
so.

Still, Stempel manages to present a well-balanced graphic that works well on
its own. The positioning of the three lights on the left that balances well
the unseen bulk of the truck. There would be a bit too much black on the
right if it were not for the purple glow at the top right.

Pini Vollach  "Venice 2003"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vollach.html

Colorful, costumed festival-goers caught in an interesting arrangement. I
would not have guessed that this was shot in Venice had I not been told. But
I am glad that I have now had the opportunity to view this very brief slice
of time in a place far away.

Jim Davis  "Conversation"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html

The best Davis bird shot yet. He must prowl the shoreline at the same time
of day on a continuing basis to get these backlit shots that give so much
definition to his birds. I love the plumes coming from the back of the
bird's head. The juxtaposition of the two animals is well done, despite the
distance between them.

David Small  "For Sale"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small.html

Oh, NO! A street shot! But wait, this one is expressing something. That well
placed "For Sale" sign is trying to say something. What is trying to say,
however, like Mitchell's image, is open to interpretation. I love it. A
thought image and street shot all in one. But is that not what Small seems
to do with his street work? This is well composed and well executed.

Jim Snarski  "Eyes On The Prize"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/snarski.html

This would be a beauty of an image were it not for that annoying shadow. As
it is, it is still a most interesting photograph. I really like the heron's
intensity. A well captured moment.

Alan P. Hayes
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/hayes.html

As a stand-alone image, this is not my favorite of the week. But having my
curiosity piqued by the image, I looked at the album
(http://photo.elay.org/view_album.php?set_albumName=Astoria) and enjoyed the
series. I like what Hayes is doing here.

Don Draper
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/draper.html

Flowers and buds almost always provide beauty, and this is no exception.
Draper has done well in composing this collection of purple bloom in a
square format. The background is well blurred, although the bokah seems a
bit strange., which really enhances the beauty of the subject. Another very
well done photo.

Many thanks to all who participated in the Forum this week. It was another
week of very good images overall. And my thanks also to Andy and his crew of
seemingly tireless assistants who helped to put this exhibit together.

peace,

rand