RE: Thoughts concerning the PF members' exhibits for 04-05-03

Far out! That's exactly what I thought when I first looked at the negative! How could I have done that? I used to get my film developed and printed at a minilab and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get a level horizon or properly framed image. Then one day I looked at the negatives and found out the printer was randomly cropping 1/4" off my 35mm negatives. Thus my transition to black and white and home processing.

> Then I opened the full image. Omigosh! Fraser has NOT lost
> his touch. The
> bricks above provide the stability with their perfect levelness. The
> downward slant toward the left of the top rail is buffered on
> the left with
> black trim above gives the whole image some character, as
> does the trashed
> basket behind the rail. But the pièce de résistance of this
> photograph is
> the white diagonal coming from the left.
>
> And Fraser was able to see this scene and know that it would work in
> black-and-white. You black-and-white shooters are to be
> admired. You see
> things I cannot yet see. This is my favorite image of the week.

You do have to look at things a little differently but then again you have the use of filters that help you manipulate the image in ways you can't do with color.

Thanks for the comments Rand.

Greg