Re: "Attacks on Journalists in Iraq Are Crimes of War"

Bob Blakely:

Thank you for responding so patiently and intelligently to the highly prejudiced anti-American posts we have seen here lately.  I think you speak for a great number of individuals.  I am grateful for brave people like you.

Joseph Guerra
-------------

At 06:54 PM 4/9/2003 -0700, Bob Blakely wrote:
It would be helpful if you thought about the words you type before you hit
the send button.

> >>"If satellite uplinks from the press are detected in >Baghdad, they
would
> >>be "targeted down", said a senior >US military official. "They know
this.
> >>They've been >warned."

No one has at any time targeted any satellite uplinks. The local TV
transmission was targeted. If the US had targeted any satellite uplinks,
then they would not be working, but I assure you, feeds from both western
and Arabic news sources were available today.

The US, and the Bush administration in particular, is not without regard for
the press or for basic freedoms of any kind. Suggestions otherwise by haters
of this administration are not unlike the pronouncements of the Iraqi
Minister of Wishful Thinking who would show up on TV claiming that coalition
soldiers were committing suicide on the gates of Baghdad. The troops,
however, are not forbidden to return fire from any place they believe it's
coming from. If you are a journalist in war, do not be so self-centered as
to assume that because an army, any army, is shooting at your building that
you are the target. War is dangerous for the military, war is dangerous for
journalists and war is dangerous for civilians. War is messy business with
tens of thousands of soldiers just trying to do their job the best way they
know how. There are always mistakes and in all wars, some soldiers suffer
from friendly fire. Sometimes what happens is deliberate when an army uses
civilians and journalists and/or their buildings for cover. Get used to this
fact and come to terms with it.

> this freedom is long sold out to the US administration and armed forces...
> i have not the passage with me concerning the embodied in the US advancing
> forces,journalists, (coming from the InfantryMan's Guide to Combat in
> Built-up Areas, FM90-10-1, downloadable from the army and marines
webpages)
> but the shear audacity of the language and content is astounding....
> in effect it says that the journalist is there to ensure proper army
> exposure to the media and it's point been maken, and there is an officer
> accompanying him to insure that the journalist behaves...!!!

This response was poorly thought out, and the opening rhetoric betrays the
inherent vile of the person uttering it. You're darn right there's someone
with embedded journalists to ensure they behave. One journalist, Rivera,
drew a map in the sand for the TV audience pointing out the troop's
position. Excuse me! Just because you are an embedded journalist doesn't
mean you have the right to endanger the troop's lives or compromise their
mission. Mr. Rivera now reports from Kuwait. Like all freedoms, freedom of
the press stops where the freedom of others begins.

> >Those who aim to weaken the constitution are a lot more of a threat to
> >freedom than is Saddam Hussein.
>
> that has always been the case....

No one is this administration aims to weaken the Constitution.

If you have a sufficient  list of lies, half truths, innuendo and
unsupported "facts", and if you say it in the right way, I'm sure you can
show that (his age not withstanding) George Bush was actually the man on the
grassy knoll that actually shot Kennedy.

Regards,
Bob...
"Beer is proof that God loves us
and wants us to be happy"