Seeking opinion on a Vivitar 28-105 mm lens for Nikon

Hi all:

This is my first post to the list.

I currently live in Connecticut, USA and enjoy shooting nature, city and people photographs. I have a Nikon N60 and two lenses - a Nikon 35-80 mm 4-5.6D and Nikon 24 mm 2.8D. I am not terribly happy with the zoom. I also want something slightly longer than 80 mm.

I am thinking of replacing it with a Vivitar Zoom 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 Series 1 for Nikon AF. I would like some advise on whether you think it is a decent lens.

I shoot purely for fun. But I am little obsessed about photography. I would like to get better and would like to eventually create some images that can be submitted for publication .

I can't right now afford the Nikon 24-120 mm (which was my first choice) and this seems to be a good compromise. Nikon also has a cheap consumer grade telephoto on price range (AF Zoom Nikkor 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6 G), but I am tempted by the Vivitar's superior focal length. I had a Vivitar 5omm MF in India and I was quite happy with it.

Would appreciate getting some advise from this list.

Rgds,

Kaushik Banerjee