Gallery Impressions

Here are my impressions of the images at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Emily L. Ferguson (Nobska Window) - Love the word 'Nobska' but if my memory is correct a nobska is the thing you turn to open a door in the Kremlin. I don't see how it relates to a window. As for the window, it looks like it was a pretty scene with the warm sunlight but the photo is not doing much for me.

D.L. Shipman - Love the colors, texture and camera angle. Mostly I love the shape of the unopened blossoms though. They seem to have the essence of clowns in them.

Jeff Spirer (The Jungle Outside is the Jungle Inside) - Sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under. Very neat scene. I like the gold and green with the airbrush looking stains on the walls. I would love to visit this place. Just how 'downtown' is this place?

Kostas Papakotas (rockin' socks) - Now that's psychedelic man. I can see this printed about 8 feet high hanging on my wall with giant translucent daisies and beads hanging from the ceiling. Whenever I see things like this, it brings back fond memories of my childhood. I love the extreme angle of the floor. Its like a fight scene in the '60s TV series 'Batman'. Thanks for displaying this one Kostas.

Les Baldwin (Fashion Portrait) - The pose looks awkward but then again its a makeup class and not a modeling class. I like that shade of blue with the model's rosy complexion. The blue really makes her lips stand out also. There's something I like about the blue shirt and the way the lips and eyes are vertical instead of the usual horizontal.

Fletcher Jernigan (My Neighbor's Tree) - I find the way the composition is so open on the left side and closed on the right bothers me. I think I would prefer the window frame on the right hand side be cropped out and the whole thing tilted so that the vertical lines run parallel to the image sides. Of course that's a completely different image isn't it.

OK hold on. My glass is empty and the bottle is not. My desire for balance in the world requires that I attend to this problem......that's better. Lets continue.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Wasp eating leaf mites) - Although not too artistic, I like that the insert shows what the wasp is eating and boy does this make me yearn for summer. I just love the taste of leaf mites not to mention aphids! You do need a real circle around the inset. The polygon is a bit too rough.

Louis C. Smith (Glass object I) - Interpretive dance in glass. The lack of visible support bothers me. I really like the background.

John Lee (Tulips) - Wow, the vibrancy and intensity of the painting makes the real flowers pale by comparison. Nice painting.

King/Arthur (Assemblage) - I don't really get much of a vibe from this.

Richard Cooper (Gone with the Wind) - I see the giant bridge and I wonder what the wind has to do with it. Yes, there is a wind powered vehicle but it certainly is not the compositional center of the image. Now the bridge is very cool with all that exposed iron and angles. Perhaps I don't understand the message.

Andrew Davidhazy (Muddy waters) - My reason for doing a review this week. I love this image. Andy, you probably don't remember our discussing our mutual desire to shoot cream swirling in a cup of coffee but every time I put cream in my coffee, I do so slowly so I can watch the blending of fluids. This is that shot on a much higher scale. I love the colors, the depth of the swirls, the lighting and the contrast of browns and blue and the contrast of textures between the rocky bottom and smooth swirls. Perhaps I could print this shot 8 feet high and hang it on the wall opposite to Kostas' socks.

Thanks to the gallery staff and submitters this week.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962