Re: B&W Digital

There are many issues that relate to B&W inkjet printing.  Here are some of
the ones I'm aware of plus some additional info:

Gray Balance:
Trying to get perfectly neutral B&W prints from a color printer is
difficult.  A common solution to this is to replace the color inks with a
grayscale set of inks or "quadtone" ink set.  Piezography is one commercial
product that does this.  There are many other sources of quadtone inks:  MIS
Associates, Lyson, and Sundance to name a few.  Some of these ink sets have
their own inherent "warm" tone to them and are not exactly neutral gray,
although they do look very good.

Fade/Lightfastness:
Pigment ink in general fades less than dye ink.  RIT and Wilhelm Research
are the two testing labs that I know of doing accelerated fade testing.
Wilhelm has a web site where test results are published, but it is not
updated often. http://www.wilhelm-research.com

Metamerism:
I've found this to be most noticable in B&W prints, but it is also a problem
with color.  A good definition of metamerism can be found here:
http://www.inkjetart.com/2000p/metamerism.html  I've found it is easiest to
see metamerism by turning a B&W print back and forth between daylight and
flourescent and observing the color shift.

Gloss Differential or Bronzing:
This is a problem typically with printing pigment ink on glossy paper.
Traditionally, it's been difficult to get pigment ink to dry on glossy
paper, but some of the new inks such as Epson's UltraChrome inks, and MIS's
new inks solve this.  Gloss Differential appears when the gloss of the paper
does not match the gloss of the surface where ink is placed.  So, if you
have a paper-white area next to an area where ink is laid down, at the
proper angle from the light source, you see this difference and it can be
quite distracting.  In the areas where very little ink is placed, such as
transition areas from paper white to areas with lots of ink, (at least for
B&W images) it results in a bronze color appearing in those areas which is
even more distracting.  This is highly dependent on the ink/paper combo you
use.  Some papers exhibit it much less than others.  Others have solved it
by sparying their prints with Krylon UV Clear which gives the entire print
the same gloss, but there is some speculation that Krylon will yellow over
time.

New Products:
There are some exciting new B&W inkjet products being announced at the PMA
show next week.

Related Links:
- Piezography: http://www.piezography.com
- The "new" Piezography product:
http://www.piezography.com/media/PMA-2003-Media-Kit.pdf
- MIS Assocuates: http://www.inksupply.com/
- Lyson: http://www.lyson.com
- Sundance & R9: http://www.bwguys.com/
- New "septone" product: http://www.inkjetgoodies.com/sundance_septone.htm
- Colorbyte ImagePrint: http://www.colorbytesoftware.com/imageprint.htm

A *great* source of information on B&W inkjet printing is the DigitalBW
group on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/