Re: why does digital looks better?

Comparing DOF directly in numeric terms is often misleading, since DOF can easily be infinity! So any comparison should be made in terms of f/stops giving the same APPARENT DOF.

If you use different "sensor" sizes (be the sensor film or CCD), and assume:
1) you stand in the same position, usig lenses that give you the same angle of view
2) you make prints of the same size and want the same apparent depth of filed in these prints, i. e. circle of confusion *in these prints*

then youŽll find that the f/stop DIAMETER you need to use are inversely proportional to the sensor sizes, i. e. the multiplier values, if you use full frame 35 as a reference. Remember, one f/stop more light means twice the area = 1.4 times the diameter. Thus, any lens on the D30/D60 should be opened almost exactly one step to give same d o f as a full frame camera with equivalent focal length.

Most consumer digitals have sensors smaller than the negative of a Minox subminiature. I donŽt recall the exact values now, but I remember finding that my old Olympus E10 fully open (f/2 gave the same d o f as a 35 mm camera stopped down to f/8, again at the equivalent focal length.

Per