Palcewski's Gallery Review, 2/8/03

Greg Fraser, Harvested. There's an odd but pleasing tension here, because to me the scene is familiar and alien at the very same time. I'm sure rural folks will have a different reaction than city slickers. But the strength of the image doesn't depend on the viewer's recognition of what the machinery actually is. Everything works, simple as that.

Dan Mitchell, Welney Parish Hall. This place might really ROCK on a Saturday night, but right now it looks lonely, empty, cold and lifeless. Kind of a metaphor for the difficulty of farming as a way of making a living these days. The good times come, but only about once a week.

David Small, Protester NYC. The portrait is engaging, but seems unrelated to a street demonstration. She's not directing any energy outward, but rather is in a deep introspective state. If it were my image, I'd nudge the contrast up just a touch.

Snapper Bob. Forgive me, but to my horribly biased eye the only thing worse than pictures of guitar playing rock stars is a pair of guitars without the stars to at least give them movement.

D.L. Shipman. With the eagle's wings folded closed this national symbol seems to lose much of its power. Also contributing to a feel of static inertia is its placement in the middle of the frame. Cropping off some of the right side would give the composition a bit more energy.

jIMMY Harris, Rorsharch Frost Blot. Uh-oh! Everyone knows that whatever you say about a Rorsharch is more about YOU than about the blot. But what the hell, I have nothing to hide. This image is all about sex. That's right. Feminine genitalia. All over the place. But wait, I see a monkey's face in profile. He's grinning. Probably because of all the sex surrounding him. But wait…

Christiane Roh, Morat, Expo02, July 2002. Last week's image of the cube is far and away superior, but this one has a charm, especially with the placement of the gull.

Robin G. Ramos, Firecracker. This image has even more sexual imagery than the snow blot! A phallus ready to explode. And it's RED as well. I'm sure this would be banned in Boston, were you to exhibit it there.

Marilyn Dalrymple, Fan and Flowers. This is subtle, delicate, pleasing. But I'm bothered by the 3 pt. rule on the left edge. I'd either put it all around, or remove it altogether.

Jeff Spirer, Cages. I think this image would work a lot better in color. That's assuming the birds aren't all black.

Tara Hall, A Simple Sunset. Moody, lonely view. The jet contrail that goes NE/SW spoils the effect of the other relatively parallel trails or clouds, so I'd clone it out. Also I'd like to see the trees in sharper focus.

John Palcewski
Isola d' Ischia, Italia

Vittoria's Island, an imagenovel:
www.palcewski.com/VI