Re: budget, portable portrait lighting advice please

I'm going to jump in here and suggest you at least consider the Quantum
line. It's not the cheapest there is but it may well be the most flexible. I
use 2 flash heads with Quantum Turbo battery packs and combined with
umbrellas they cover just about every need I have...weddings, kids and pets.
The flashes can be used bare bulb as well as with parabolic reflectors alone
or with diffusion panels.

Recently I've added the Freewire Radio Slaves which allow me to work
completely wireless. After testing, which was a bit frustrating, everything
is up and running smooth as silk. This system can run completely TTL
depending on your make and model of camera.

Light, portable and easy to use. That's their best selling features.

I'm very, very happy with my set-up.
Lea