PF Gallery review 1/1/03

I had a free afternoon for a change and decided to try a gallery review. Please don't expect anything profound. It is, I think, an interesting set of photographs.

*Allegory* Peeter Vissak

I think the composition is rather compelling if viewed abstractly, but I can only make a wild guess about the allegory. Perhaps it has something to do with the relationship between the sexes. The exterior curves of the implement are very feminine, yet it is obvious that it is capable of inflicting great pain -- crushing even. Maybe Peeter is having problems with a woman.;-) Maybe this is just kind of an ink blot test for the rest of us? Maybe Peeter will clue us in after we all have had the opportunity to made fools of ourselves.

Fletcher Jernigan

Upon viewing the thumbnail I was ready to dismiss this as being too minimalist for my taste. In the large version, however, the row of nails become an important element. To me, they give a sense of movement to the disk in much the same way you might indicate movement in a cartoon with dots or lines. Not what I would call a great photograph, but interesting never-the-less.

D.L. Shipman

How could anyone look at this photograph and not love gorillas? Cover material! It would be hard to think of a way this image could be improved. I'd love to hear the details.

*Lausanne, Palais Rumine* Christiane Roh

What a fun image! It is not so much the reaction of the lady in the blue sweater as the total lack of reaction from the rest. Good work.

*Thanatopsis I* John Palcewski

I'm not sure of the intended mood or reaction, but there is a mysterious, dreamlike quality here. That there seems to be only two colors, blue and cyan, gives it a sense of the surreal. I can't decide if I like it or not.

*pressure* Karen Habbestad

This is another one I'm not sure about. I like and think I understand the title, but I can't help wonder what is to the right of the tree sticking up above the brush. Electric Power pole? Also, I'm viewing this on a mac -- does the tree look murky on a pc?

*Haunted?* Morley Roberts

While it appears to technically be very good,there's a little too much included here. The detail on the left is somewhat distracting. I think a little cropping would result in an excellent image.

*Massasoit* Emily L. Ferguson

I like the composition and lighting, but there sure seems to be a lot of blue! Maybe that's the actual patina of the statue, but I can't help but be reminded of the old Ektachrome of my younger days. (The reason I was willing to wait on Kodachrome to be processed.) Although It may not be your thing, this might work really well in b&w.

*Owl* Dan Mitchell

Technically a pretty good image, but, I'm a little put off by evidence of the *hand of man*.

*Hickory Nut Tree* jIMMY Harris

Interesting choice of colors. (Looks a little more like a West Texas sandstorm than a South Texas fog.) Nice work. Good imagination.

*Kessock Bridge* Steven Ross

I don't know if it is the scan or the original image, but the rocks in the foreground are soft enough to be troublesome to me. Also, this is probably one of those photographs that needs to be fairly large to be appreaciated.