Re: John Palcewski's Gallery Review

First... John I'm glad that you saw that I wasn't
trying to pick a fight.  Merely working through some
questions.

On the same subject, Luis wrote:

>There are no cliche'd subjects, only cliche'
>approaches to them.

I'll agree with this.  Always avoid cliches like the
plague.  My complaint about John's review is that he
called for originality in approach to the subject.
I'm not sure that this was a helpful critique.
Originality is exceedingly rare, a point that you help
me to make.

Luis goes on to say that:

>It's not the subject, but what you do with it. Look
>at what Weston did with peppers, a toilet, rocks on
>Point Lobos....Bullock with a naked child in a
>forest.....nudes in old cabins....Eggleston with
>parked cars....Walker Evans with peeling
>posters....Ernst Haas with snow.....E.J. Bellocq with

>prostitutes....Alice Austen with vegetable
>vendors....Martin Munkacsi with a running model on a
>beach on a cold day....Diane Arbus (snipping)....ROy
>DeCarava.....Helen Levitt ....Jan Groover....Sally
>Mann....Minor White....Paul Strand....Ken Josephson
>with a postcard....etc., etc., etc.

Awfully high standards, Luis.  These are artists with,
in my terms, original vision.  It's wonderful to have
this kind of person around.  One can't imagine
photography without Evans any more than one can
imagine jazz without Ellington.  But there haven't
been, aren't, and won't ever be many folks like this.

Isn't it the case that most artists, the overwhelming
majority of artists (the overwhelming majority in any
field), aren't particularly original?  Isn't it also
true that quite a few do marvelous work anyway?

Two photographers who come to mind, because I've been
looking at their books recently, are David Plowden
(Imprints) and Lauren Greenfield (Girl Culture).
Neither is particularly original.  That doesn't stop
Plowden's combination of flawless technique, emotional
restraint, empty rooms, vacant landscapes, and fading
industries from moving me tremendously.  That doesn't
stop Girl Culture from being the happiest marriage of
art, reportage, and (social) science I've ever
encountered.  The book will be a big deal.

If not originality, then what?  How about consummate
craft, artistry, and passion put into the service of a
distinctive vision.

As for Kostas's photo, which started this
discussion...  Kostas is clearly developing his own
voice.  And the photo doesn't, in fact, strike me as
particularly cliched.  It also doesn't strike me as
particulary compelling, in part because the craft
isn't there.

Part of the problem is your scanning, Kostas.
Flatbeds are hard to work with, but you can make your
blacks much smoother and deeper.  The highlights are
blown, which I think is probably an exposure problem.
With richer blacks, more mid-tone detail, and detail
in the highlights this photo will tell much more of a
story than it does right now.

--John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/