Re: my re-vamped web site

Chris <nimbo@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> Well I don't understand the on-line payment system.

It's a standard credit card charging system. It collects the customer's
credit card details, then unless things have changed from how Philip
Greenspun describes in his wonderful book, which you should buy for the
*photographs* (you can read the text online!), somehow this is all
interfaced to a dedicated modem connection, cause the credit card
companies are still in the 1970s; and when it's taken your money, it
sends some authorization code to your web site. I suppose?? You don't
make it very clear what the customer is getting - instant ability to
click on the link?

Anyway, frankly I think you would get much more by having a PayPal or
Amazon 'Donate' button. The overheads are _much_ lower. (PayPal costs
about (US$0.30 + 3%), so even $0.50 is plausible.

But how much is "a look" at an image "worth"? How much does a quality
photography magazine cost? How many pictures in it? How many people
typically read a copy? Only guessing, so I'll use the American pound
sign for a fictional currency: #5 * 40 pictures * 2 readers = 500/80
centiunits per eyeball = perhaps 0.05? So your $3 looks like at least 50
times too much, even if the quality is the same - which we don't know.

Greenspun's book is very good: see
http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/pagwp.htm
(pagwp = Philip & Alex[his dog]'s Guide to Web Publishing)

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: