Re: flaky stuff and dust inside a Makinon long zoom

kostas papakotas <kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com> wrote/replied to:

>should i leave it as is? will that affect image quality that much?
>should i blow air through the opening around the f/number ring? kinda scary
>since moisture may concetrate, and the air might bring more particles on the
>element surface
>
>and should i get the lens to the only good repair shop here in northern
>greece? coming from your experience, can a good technician reliably
>disembowel a lens of that kind, clean it and put it back again leanving no
>trace of dust in it?
>
>what do ya think?  kostas

Well, you could try a strong vacuum around the aperture ring, might
get some stuff out of there.

Othewise, you can continue to shoot with it, and put up with degraded
images.

An estimate for repair might tell you if it's worth it, or you should
be shopping for another lens. I would assume a dissasemble and clean
might cost more than another used lens. And if paint inside is
flaking, it might take more than a simple clean up inside.

luck