Re: :Re: PF member's exhibits on Jan 11, 2003

>   Want to meet a federal guard ? Take a few pictures of a federal
courthouse.....the Golden Gate bridge....cameras are being relieved of
their film, people questioned, etc all over the nation. The other day
our local "photographer laureate" was stopped by a private security
guard from taking pictures of a local building. I have a feeling this
is only the beginning.

Luis

Thanks for the confirmation of what I already suspected  ;o)

It's packaged up in the name of "security" but actually it's BS.
Terrorists/Criminals you see might take photographs that they can use
to plan attacks/robberies.
So the answer, you challenge anyone with what looks like an overtly
"pro" camera and especially anyone with a tripod.  In general
disposable cameras appaer invisible to the security guards (same for
your federal guards?).  What they miss is that for criminal activities
you really don't need a high-quality neg ... or should I say in the UK
I suspect most of it is they want you to have to buy the "official"
photographs ...

The part Chris mentioned about photographing children (other
people's).  Well you heard how it was going with the banning of
cameras at nativity plays in Scotland.  It's not really a legal
problem but more you are likely to get thumped by the parents.  An
acquaintance of mine (aware of the hysteria) asked the parents of som
children if it was OK to include them in a shot.  The reply, "F*ck off
you pervert".  These days I wouldn't bother asking unless the famil
were known to me ...

I don't think things are gonna get better in the near future.

Bob