Gallery comments in brief

at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Christiane Roh - Market day, Place de la Palud
Almost a "decisive moment" but still full of "atmosphere". Photo slightly
tilted and might have been more dynamic had sloping sidewalk been retained.
Arm kind of covers action. I want to move to Europe but probably could not
afford it!

David Small- Salute
Initially was drawn to image. I now find caption and photo compete. No
indication this is above street level. Salute? hmmmm ... more like "lower
the boom of that crane a bit, mate!" forced interpretation of image
fails to move me.

Jeff Spirer- Sacrifice
I don't know ... am not getting a message but pattern is nevertheless nice to
look at and could do so for a long time.

Peeter Vissak -
Cold yes but too busy in background ... competition to frozen branches too
great for my "taste".

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Among more successful photos taken out of windshields methinks. Nice touch the
ligh from lighhouse happened to shine towards car.

Greg Fraser- Coffee House
Also great sense of "place" ... almost rivaling Christiane's knack for dealing
with this genre. On close examination the young lady in the distance is not
really gazing admiringly at the photographer but rather contemplating the
menaing of life itself.

King/Arthur- In/Out/Beside
kind of confusing and disconnected to anything I can make sense of - which may
tell more about me than the photograph.

Alan Zinn- Greeters, Toronto
cool ...

Christopher Strevens- Waiting for the Bus
The blurry hand spoils what might have been an effective "street photo".

Emily L. Ferguson- Sculpting the ice
This reminds me of those images where you are asked to find out what it is all
about or to find a hidden message within. Found it _real_ hard to find the
sculptor. But then you were actually seeking help/advice re: lighting ... I
think the little on-camera flash really does not work so well in such
situations. A much larger light source would have helped methinks. Maybe
available light? ... maybe with a little fill from the flash??

Andrew Davidhazy- Figure
Probably trying too hard to make something happen out of something that should
have been put to rest a long time before digital adjustments were attempted.
Still, I find it kind of easy on the eyes ... maybe it should have been cropped
at the hips ... but then it would not be what it is. Oh, well, back to the
studio!

asta,
andy