Re: LENSES

> Actually that is incorrect.  You should refer to the entrance pupil
when
> you say that.
True ...

> Because the relative aperture of a lens is calculated (for infinity
> focus) as the focal length of the lens divided by the diameter of
the
> entrance pupil.
> You would, naturally, be aware that the size of the entrance pupil
and
> the physical size of the aperture stop are frequently not the same.

I knew someone else would step in and (correctly) complicate the
issue.

The physical diameter of the aperture in a 100mm f2.8 lens can be
smaller (usually) or bigger than 100/2.8 mm.  It depends on the "path
of the light" internally (between the entrance and exit pupils).

> Oh, and also the error in not identifying it as the diameter of an
> equivalent circular aperture (or perhaps as the "mean diameter of
the of
> the actual aperture formed by the diphragm opening") rather than
what
> could be interpreted as some other measurement (radius or
circumference
> perhaps).
Few modern diaphragms are circular:  in the old old days they were ...
when they were called stops ...

> > F 0.5 or f  0.5 is some kind of nonsense unless you're trying to
make
> > up some convention of your own.
If Micro$oft ever start selling digital cameras you can be damned sure
they will invent some terminology just like that ...

Bob

"For every simple question there is a simple answer which is wrong"