Re:Macro & teleconverters

Gregory wrote ---

>I am green when it comes to macro work, but I have recently >purchased a 105 macro. What happens to reproduction/mag ratios >when you add a 1.4 Teleconverter? Or, is this not advised?

  Others have already answered the mag ratio question.

     I would look here first regarding compatibility....:

  http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/teleconverters.htm

   If what you are looking for is greater magnification, and specially if you are working on location, I'd consider Nikon's achromatic close-up lenses, the "T" series. No light loss, and they weigh a fraction of what a converter does.  If you are new to macrophotography, I suggest John Shaw's book on the topic.

   --- Luis