Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

Le 7.1.2003 8:21, « Robert G. Earnest » <robert@earnestphoto.com> a écrit :

> Herein, I think, lies the basis of my question?
> Did anyone ever think to ask Doisneau if the image was staged or not?

Geezzz where were you while we talked ;-)

Not only he said it, but he proved it twice in front of the court.

However he has written a little book of memories and doesn't speak about
that matter in his book, as you suspects. He seems to be quite superficial
and likes relatively easy jokes. He says that he wants to make people happy
with his photographs, that people have enough sorrow in real life, so his
goal is to entertain them, to give them joy and make them laugh. He reflects
the mentality of his time (he begun his carrier in the fifties) : people
wanted to forget about the WWII and to have fun.

There is a famous French Photo-amateur magazine named "Chasseur d'images"
(Pictures Hunter), but he says it doesn't correspond him : he would rather
like to be called a "pictures fisher" (a conception rather at the opposite
of staged pictures).

--
Christiane