Re: Honest Street Photos - Robert Capa's Soldier at the moment of death

From: Orlando - Wellington/NZ <orlando@orlando.co.nz> Writes:

Another aspect: To what degree is an image "staged", when subjects react to
the
presence of a photographer, thus creating a situation, which may otherwise
never
have occurred ("acting up")?

Any ethical or moral issues there with a possible distortion of reality?
This has imho a
much more serious impact than a kissing couple ...

I felt the need to respond because of a situation that occured earlier this week. My 6 year old was watching tv when the neighbor (a photograper for the local newspaper) knocked on the door and asked her if she would come outside and play in the snow so he could take some photos. He then took her outside, had her kneel and throw some snow in the air.
What I found interesting was people's reaction to the photo..people who saw it and know us commented on how much fun she was having...(she hates snow) and ALL were surprised to find out it was staged...although not "news" is this not "misrepresentation"? I myself don't have a problem with it...(even if the subject hadn't been so darn cute). As long as it's not "news".

The resulting photo and caption (which I thought was also "misleading" i.e. making it sound like he just "happened" to catch her playing in the snow") can be seen at:
http://shutterbug1230.tripod.com/
my appologies for the poor scan...
Angi

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus