Re: Honest Street Photos - response to Gregory

Thanks for your comments!

At 04:51 PM 1/6/2003 -0800, Gregory wrote:

>You CAN argue the intended perception. The camera does tell the
>truth, it's the photographer who lies.

I'm not sure that I agree with the terms "truth" and "lies," but I agree
with the notion of an intended perception or reception -- and I think the
context surrounding the image plays a role here.

>Lens choice does not represent manipulation, only choice.

Of course, I'd have to disagree here, for reasons that I've already
elaborated in other messages and that you make a nod to in the next paragraph.

>An ND Grad is about working within the limitations of the film not
>about manipulation. Manipulation can be the title of those actions if
>you prefer

I would, of course, given that, to use the notions of objectivity, truth,
lies, etc. that you suggest, an ND grad "lies" about the sky -- if it's so
bright that it would be blown out on film, if we want to be truly objective
about it, then it should be blown out in the photo. But since I accept that
photography is necessarily about manipulation to create a certain image,
even if the goal of that manipulation is to create the scene that I see
when I look at the sky, it's still manipulation.

>If you put a rock into the scene to fill the foreground of your
>mountain shot, you are manipulating the truth and if do not allow
>anyone to know you put that rock there, you are manipulating the
>perception of the truth, you intended to mislead, to misrepresent
>the inalienable truth of that scene.

Hmmm... I would say that maybe you are crossing a line and maybe you are
not, and I'd refer back to the context -- if the photo is one of the pretty
landscape photos meant as a fine art image to hang on somebody's wall, I'd
have a hard time calling it unethical to put a rock there. If, however, you
take a photo of the same thing for the Nature Conservancy in order to call
attention to some aspect of the environment, then I would have a problem
with that. I think that the context is key here.

>It seems to me, the true nature of this discussion is not perception
>but intention. You photograph anything you want, anyway you want,
>just continue the line of integrity all of the way to the viewer.

I have no problem with that as a precept.

I have a question, though: I would say that Doisneau's _intention_ in
making the photo was to show a certain image of "romance in Paris," which
he accomplished quite well. Since the article in which it appeared was
dedicated to that theme, and since it was not a sort of photo-survey of how
often or not people kissed in the street in France (which would imply a
different intention on his part), would it still be a problematic image for
you?

Thanks again!

Keith

	Keith Alan Sprouse / Department of Modern Languages
	176 Hampden-Sydney College / Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
	(o) 434.223.6335 / (f) 434.223.6347 / (h) 434.244.0465