Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28-02

> Photography's credibility has always been held in question, but
'street
> photography' is often presented as a medium which transcends
deliberate
> viewer manipulation.

Karl

That was for sure how it always seemed to be presented.
Amongst nature photographers there are similar factions that eschew
anything other than a completely "straight" shot.  That's not for any
photographic discipline, but more the belief that we should record
things as we find them, with as little imact as possible, not how we
would have liked them to be.

The fact that no film can completely represent the real world (or even
that the world we percieve is a construct within  own conciousness ;o)
does not prevent film being an objective record.  The real issue is in
the intent of the photographer.  Once the "photographer" removes
things from a scene - the line is crossed.
Once a photographer has a baboon thrown to a leopard so he can film it
being killed - the line is crossed.  The distinction between trying to
take a straight shot of the world and deliberately staging / faking
one is really not that hard to understand.

The fact that the results of staged/manipulated images can be great
pictures ... is a lesson for us all though

Bob
"If a picture's worth taking, it's also worth faking"