Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos

> So what the hell IS street photography?  (it's taken years, but I
can dare
> to ask the question now ;-)

Until yesterday I thought I knew what street photography was.
What I mean is, I had jumped to some conclusions based on the style of
the work presented on streetphoto etc, on magazine articles and on
comments of certain PF members (esp Dave Small).

After the discussion on Robert (the Fake) Doisneau I wonder if I ever
knew.  Maybe that was why Mr Rosen kept his distance from the genre -
preferring the self-styled "Field" ...

I had mistakenly made technical allowances for stuff I percieved as
"street" in the mistaken belief that the flaws were the inevtable side
effect of taking "decisive moment" pictures on the fly.  I hadn't
realised that this was a heavily scripted genre:  these illusory
moments little more than heavily rehearsed and oft-repeated staged
simulations of real life.  Now I understand where I have been going
wrong when I've tried to emulate the stye:  in the real street things
just never seem to come together so perfectly as they do for real
Street photographers ;o)

Those who say that it shouldn't matter that you know the truth:  it is
strange to hear because businesses today are spending ever increasing
sums on the words / ideas they use to present thier products and ever
less on the actual content.  The way we think of things IS the essence
of things.

There is nothing wrong with staging photos
There is nothing particularly virtuous about seeting arbitrary
restrictions  "genuine" shots.
Pretending that staged / manipulated shots are genuine is the mark of
a fraud though.
Once one  fraud is exposed - everything else by the authour is tainted

Bob

"Be very, very careful what you put into that head,
because you will never, ever get it out."
Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)