Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28-02

In a message dated 1/5/03 13:06:57, ksprouse@hsc.edu writes:

<< ...Simply put, no photography is innocent of serious manipulation at
every stage.

To continue with that a bit, I would say that "truth" of the image might
very well not be affected at all by the "staged" nature of the photo,
depending on your interpretation. If the photo is about the romance of
Paris and the liveliness of street life there, as so many post-card buyers
probably understand it to be, then knowing that the couple were actors who
"staged" the scene probably doesn't change that -- it is still an image
that screams "Paris is for lovers" and "la scene qui passe" despite that
knowledge, I would suggest.

...it still wouldn't be accurate to say that
the entire scene was staged -- only the kissing couple are actors, for
example, and for me the most interesting part of the photo is the reaction
of the bystanders, which was not "staged" at all...>>

As a photojournalist I have to disagree.  The image was originally used in a
magazine and, as far as I know, carried no disclaimer telling viewers it was
staged.  So, if I wanted to do a story on car fires, would it be ethically
correct for me to set a vehicle ablaze in a busy intersection if the
reactions that followed were the "truth?"

If Paris was such a great city for lovers, why wasn't this great street
shooter able to find a real situation to illustrate the theme with out
resorting to setting something up? He certainly couldn't have sold countless
reproductions of the image without a model release and compensation to the
pictured couple.

The point is the content of the image was a lie, regardless of arguments
about choice of lens, film or post-capture darkroom work.  Thet's why the
term photo-illustration was coined--to account for situations where an image
is staged, faked or excessively manipulated.

Your example of documentary literature would depend whether the work is
labeled as fiction or non-fiction, and whether the author was open about any
fudging of the facts--it's a matter of ethics.  Some photojournalists and
reporters have been fired for alterations such as you mentioned:
"characteristics of a number of different people portrayed in a single
character"

Read an excellent column on the ethics of staging here:
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/lester/writings/toy_gun.html

Read more columns on the ethics of photojournalism by Deni Elliot and Paul
Martin Lester here:
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/lester/writings/nppa.html

Cheers,

Rich Mason