Re: Gallery review 12-28-02

> It seems as if our regular reviewers must still be hung over from
the holidays.
Dunno about the others but my New Year's Resolution was to think long
and hard before making any kind of comments that might upset the
contributors.  Still thinking ...

> Actually the C fell off "mens Club" This is a social club of Russian
> immigrants on the boardwalk by the ocean in brooklyn N.Y.
Oh, the Cmens club

> The sexual graffiti on the facade
> has nothing to do with the activities in the club.
Nah, but it gives the impression af a bad 'hood.

> The men get together to play chess cards
> and dominos. I did not position the man in the doorway.
Well, you did in a way (unless you had your eyes shut ;o)

> The wole idea of honest street photography is to be an observer of
> the scene.
Honest?  Surely when you press the shutter you are influencing how
others will interpret the scene?
There may be passers by but you wait for just one.
Surely timing and composition have a part even in "honest" street.
I guess to me "dishonest" in the street scene would be to use models
or even friends to pose for you (the classic kiss in Paris?)

>And record it without any alteration.
Err, the very choice as to when you take the photo, where from, with
what filmstock etc etc  remove you from being a totally honest
(random) impartial observer.  Half the point is abstracting
interesting scenes from real life - no?

> a photograph,you might try some street shots. It can be very
gratifiying.
Yes?   Damned street photography is easy to do:  pont the camera and
click ;o)
Trouble is getting an image worth looking at takes a lot more ... I
keep trying but most of my "street" stuff does even make the PF
gallery !