Re: Greeting card distributor?

Stephen,

I license my images for use on several products (books, calendars, cups,
plates, framed prints, magnets...) and one of my images was recently chosen
for greeting card licensing with worldwide distribution rights thru a large
card company. The image is Wedding Roses.

Things to be aware of:

Distribution. Where are these cards going? US, Europe, worldwide? What are
the channels of distribution? How do they get there?

Term of Contract. How long will they have rights to your image? Get this in
writing.

Exclusivity. Can you use the image for other things...including cards with
another company...while this company is using it?

Guarantee. The company should have SOME idea of what you can expect to make
on this venture. Best case/worst case and inbetween. They don't pick images
they hope will sell, they pick images they KNOW will sell. Have them tell
you what they expect it will do in the market. Also ask WHY they picked that
image. What about it was appealing? Trust me, they know the answers to all
these questions.

Right to audit. What if you think they are selling more than they report to
you? Do you have any recourse? My contracts state that I can audit any
company at any time for descrepencies in accounting. If they are more than
5% off in what they've paid in royalties they have to pay for the audit and
the difference plus interest.

Approval. Do you have any say in how your image looks on their card? What if
they want to put text with it and you don't like what they say? Can you
refuse to sign off? What if they use colors, edges, design you don't like?
Can you refuse to allow it to be made if you don't approve?

Copyright. Will the card bear your copyright as you wish it to be?

Legal fees. What if you end up going to court. Who pays? In what state do
you go to court? You would prefer your state and not theirs if you live in
two different states. It's cheaper that way.

My best case licensing is with Dayspring...a division of Hallmark. They are
honest and pay on time. They also sell like mad.

My worst case is a company who made HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS on my images by
putting them on cups and plates and distributed them all over the world.
They stopped paying royalty fees. My agent and I discovered the company was
over 50 thousand dollars in arrears to me. He didn't pay. I sued, won the
judgement but guess what? He declared bankruptcy, shut down the business and
opened in another state with a new name. Without investing loads on legal
fees there was nothing I could do to get the money due me. I rest
comfortably knowing what goes around comes around and he'll get his due some
day.

The best contract in the world doesn't guarantee that people are honest, so
you have to be careful. Go with your gut.

Lea