Re: Why bother?

>Does anybody know of a good non-monetary reason to take photos
>(other than to record our own lives and the big moments in the
>kiddies lives?

I guess it depends on if what your question is about has to do with is how
we justify ourselves and our hobby, in which case my only answer isn't a
very good one: if you don't already have a personal reason, then there
isn't any reason that I could give you -- either you want to take photos or
you don't, and the pleasure is in the making of the photos or it isn't.

But I would also say that it sounds like you might be a bit burnt-out, in
which case I do have a few ideas that might or might not be helpful, all
along the lines of jump-starting a stagnant feeling in your practice. I'm
sure that these are all common knowledge, things like trying out a new
film, sticking an infrequently-used prime (or fixing your zoom in one
place) on your camera and seeing what you can do with it, making yourself
stand in one place with at least one foot fixed until you shoot a whole
roll of film, giving yourself a time-limit (say 3 minutes) in which to walk
around downtown somewhere and burn a roll, shooting an entire roll in your
living room/dining room/backyard, etc. -- all of these are variation on the
them of "set some arbitrary limit on yourself and still take some photos"
to make you think a little differently about your subject matter and/or
shooting style.

Good luck!

Keith

	Keith Alan Sprouse / Department of Modern Languages
	176 Hampden-Sydney College / Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
	(o) 434.223.6335 / (f) 434.223.6347 / (h) 434.244.0465