Re: Why bother?

Greg,

I know your feelings. There can be a lot of money tied up in what we do, and
it is not always justifiable. But only when you question it's surface
appearance.

I own about $6000 in telescope and astronomy equipment in addition to my
photography gear. Yet, six months out of the year the astronomy gear does
not see use. There is no astronomy in the NW. Every year I think I should
sell the astronomy gear, I get depressed looking at all of that money that
could benefit others just collecting dust in my studio.

Yet, there is a purpose to all of this, to your efforts at creating images
and spending the money necessary to achieve that goal. As a member of this
universe, you are here, not as some say to fulfill a destiny, but to achieve
the highest level of quality of mind in a tiny flash of time.

Photography is one of the greatest inventions in history. Without it, our
history, our achievements, the world we live in, all of the greatness and
the evils we have become as humans, would be reduced to mere words. Black
letters on white backgrounds. Every time you frame an instant, you are
creating imagination, suggestion, interpretation and connection to all other
things on this planet. You can feel it, remember it and preserve it all with
a snap of your finger.

You and all the members of this list have given the world a taste of what we
are, have been and will be. That's the greatest gift we can offer to the
future. A record of our times, framed and singled out in moments to be
studied by everyone or anyone.

Treat it with dignity. Allow it to nurture your spirit, when the spirit
needs it, and the other times, you can be a part of someone else's moment.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g