PF gallery of 2002-12-14

Well, I nearly commented last week but after a flood of reviews I
could not find much to add.
I think I've discovered how to guarantee a good week:  don't put one
of my pictures in ;o(

This week's set looks well above par

> The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated
> Work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes

Robert G. Earnest -
Haugh haugh haugh ... yes, OK, not pictorial but a fun shot.
Serves you right going looking for bears and cubs after dark!.

The flip-flop is the punch line.

Alan P. Hayes - Blue Black Truck
Yes, another blurred photo that works
Were the tail lights really pink or red?
Yes, this is the sort of shot where digital wins hands down:  OK, it's
not quite monkeys and typewriters but you never can be sure how well
the shot has turned out till you see it.

A really good example of the genre

Jeff Spirer - John Wayne and Someone Else
Another powerful image from Jeff - one I shouldn't like because really
its a picture of two other people's pictures.
The juxtaposition?  Yes, maybe that's the artistic input.
It holds the eyes for sure.

Rich Mason -
Yea right Rich:  if I had a lot of time I'd try to get in to this.
A crystal clear slice of life: good texture on the car.  Plenty of
interest despite being a mundane scene.
I like it but it could bellyflop in a competition ...

Alan Zinn - Is this 'savoir faire', or what?
Does the bloke in the jeans look familar?

OK Alan, nice but it lacks critical sharpness.

I have a lot of time for the old 2CV ... a reminder that cars are
really to get from A-B cheaply.

Boy, does the shot lack sharpness ...

Roderick Chen -
Yea, OK ... shadows and nude superimposed.
But after looking at it for a while I end up thinking "so what?".
Sorry, I can see it is supposed to be creative but it has not worked
in the way last weeks shot by you did.

Rand Flory - The Drop
>>I wanted to give this to an English teacher and have him tell the
class, "You have 20 minutes to write the story behind this
photograph."
I've felt that about a lot of pictures:  it's best for me not to be
told up front but the importance is what does it say?

This shot for me is cool but it falls flat for me on one tiny detail:
the light behind  the base of the needle just looks wrong;
over-worked.  I apologise if it was real (clever lighting with a fine
snoot) but it shouts "fiddle".

Everything else is effective:  if it were mine I would try it with a
less obvious halo.

Perhaps you will tell us your story later ...

Christiane Roh - Lac de Neuchatel, July 2002
That toy camera (D60?) really does produce images that look sharp on
screen ;o)
As a thumbnail it held no promise for me but opening it up it's a gem.

I love the clarity of the light on the two lads:  the dull/hazy light
in the background sets them off well

Richard Cooper - See you in the Spring
Yes, a shot of a boat in the snow:
It looks almost monochrome but there is a blue spash half way up the
right.
It improves for me with a tiny crop from the base to lose the jetty
and that blob of white bottom left.

Jim Davis - Bee Hawk Moth
I'll let you off the wings being blurred, but the flower is not sharp
which ruins the picture for me.
Otherwise the distand background is good.

I lovw watching these moths:  we only get them in spring as they
migrate.
"Hummingbird hawk moths" I think they are called here:  I've never
managed to get a half decent shot of one, but then I'm lucky to glimse
one a year ...

Jay Bjerkan - Rotunda 11/2002
The story is more interesting than the picture:  what I mean is, this
shot would not make we want to stop off to visit the place.

Emily L. Ferguson - The mortise man
I have a phobia of these living exhibits.  For me they spoil my
imagination of what the past was like.  Actually, in this shot, the
lighting is horrible (too contrasty) and the man has the expression
of - well, a prat.  Sorry Emily, does nothing at all for me

Bob