PF Exhibits on 07-DEC-02

Bear with me while I attempt my first review. I mostly critique my own images or images of those who wish to learn from me in what I do best - which is images of the human form. Anyone wishing to investigate my work can do so at www.dtphoto.com, and be punished by my feeble attempts at landscape as well.

I am also now photo editor of an Austin-based magazine, so I'm training my eye to be more flexible and I will critique the images this week with that in mind - so here goes.

David Small - N.Y.C. 2002

Oh, I love this image. I want to see more, which is what "makes" a single image in my mind. B&W works, and the higher contrast is reminding me of work from earlier decades when fast film equaled high contrast.

Roderick Chen

This art image reminds me of images I studied while taking film classes. It intrigues me, and I applaud the technique. I also will admit I fail to grasp it's meaning... but I like it.

Richard Cooper - Reflections

I personally don't like this image, but I'm not a portrait photographer in the wedding business. Those guys can shoot rings around me in that arena. I don't even try - even tho I have people asking me to shoot weddings all the time. Anyway - it *is* a good wedding portrait and I feel it was shot for that purpose. If I had a article about wedding photographers or about weddings to illustrate with a photo, I'd place this in the running.

Gregory david Stempel - The Farm

Scanned images of awesome natural events, like this one, just can't do it justice. However, I get a feel for what it shows and I like it..

Marilyn Dalrymple -

Poor Gypy - he had to give up the mousie and go into time out? Marilyn, the boy is a successful hunter. He deserves a pat on the head, and a nice can of tuna, and a warm spot to snooze. Wild mice are NOT good for a housecat, as they carry parasites.. but it's their nature to be hunters. I mean, he might have been trying to impress one of the ladies.. so don't be so hard on the fellow.

Brian van den Broek - Time Enough

Good idea for a illustration photo on anything "time based"... I'd like to see it again, minus the distracting reflection of the lamp... but for available light it's rather good.

Dan Mitchell - Boxes

Almost there - In a perfect world, I'd like to see either a wider shot giving me more environment or.. a closer shot on the stack to the right, more detail. This is kind of in between...

Christy Bright - Souvenirs

I like this one, very good as an illustrative image, showing the souvenirs AND balancing the image with the light bulbs. I've seen photographers try to stage similar images and fail.

Greg Fraser - Fall

B&W images. I love B&W, and this one can go on my wall... anyway. I'd love to see the original silver print (there *is* an original, right?). I started B&W in the mid 1970's.. and can't get enough all these years later, the smell of fixer in the morning.. smells of.. art.

Brian Chandler - Botty

Nice technically, good handling of the light between shadow and sunlight. Nice snapshot of your collection.

King/Arthur - Up/Down

Good illustration piece here - would be good to accompany an article or story about urban life.

D.L. Shipman - November Pumpkins, Englewood 2002

If this wasn't on digital, I'd say it'd be a good generic stock shot - it'd sell almost anywhere for Fall-based cards or calendars. Good composition, color is right on and fits perfectly.

Ok - that's my take this go around.

Dave Thompson

It shows exactly what you can do if you're a total psychotic.
-Woody Allen