Re: scanner question

At 10:53 AM -0500 11/11/02, Bright, Christy [IBD] wrote:

>The next item on my list is a scanner. I'm looking for something
>professional quality (this is all part of my quest to finally build a
>professional website), but nothing outrageously technologically advanced. I
>just want good, clean scans that will give me as much detail as possible
>without spending a fortune. Does such a thing exist for under $300?

Yes, if you are really after something for screen images and not so
critical printing.

>And here's a stupid question - does the size of the print I'm scanning make
>any difference in the quality of the scan? Assuming the scanner can take,
>say, an 8x10, is there any advantage to scanning that size as opposed to a
>5x7?
Probably not, if you are going to use the scan to create a smaller or
lower resolution image, as would be the case with a website. Speed,
dynamic range and the usability of the included software tend to be
greater limitations than resolution, unless you are doing
enlargements or work for publishing.
>Is it just a matter of the quality of the print itself regardless of
>size.
In this case, mostly...

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design