scanner question

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my questions about the G2 a few
weeks back, particularly Chistiane, whose incredibly detailed and
informative email I took with me to B&H. It is now mine! Lots of bells and
whistles on it for someone who's shot the vast majority of her work on a
completely manual Pentax, but I'm excited to start working with it.

The next item on my list is a scanner. I'm looking for something
professional quality (this is all part of my quest to finally build a
professional website), but nothing outrageously technologically advanced. I
just want good, clean scans that will give me as much detail as possible
without spending a fortune. Does such a thing exist for under $300?

And here's a stupid question - does the size of the print I'm scanning make
any difference in the quality of the scan? Assuming the scanner can take,
say, an 8x10, is there any advantage to scanning that size as opposed to a
5x7? Is it just a matter of the quality of the print itself regardless of
size?

Thanks for your input. Any thoughts you all have will be greatly
appreciated.

Christy