Re: PF Exhibits on 26-OCT-02

> andy, i think we need an explanation concerning your submission...

at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

sorry about that - I have been making similar photographs in the past
and thought it might be superfluous, although this time I took a
digital shorcut so to speak.

The photograph is part of a larger series of figures ... all which to
some extent or another are seen to "float" against a white background
there being no shadow behind them. This subject matter I have found to
be interesting on many levels beyond the purely technical. Getting
models, for one, is not that easy - especially with the comprehensive
model release I seek.

>From a technical point of view the photograph is what I call a "Phoenix"
process print. It starts out as a Polaroid 667 paper negative - the
print I give to the model and I keep the opaque, low contrast negative.
I then carefully (sometimes with disastrous results) rewet the paper
negative and copy it onto Polaroid Polagraph 35mm film stock. This then
yields a transparent (so to speak) negative since Polagraph is a positive
working material. I then enlarge that negative onto conventional paper.

In this particular case I was in a hurry so I just scanned the paper neg
and inverted the tones digitally - also adjusting the contrast of the
image much as Polagraph would do - it is not only positive working it is
a high contrast material.

While in the digital realm I also did clean up or retouch certain blemishes
or elements that I found visually objectionable. By the way, during the
process of making the original paper negative it undergoes a special
transformation of tones associated with the Sabattier effect. This then
becomes evident in the final print. Also, the Polagraph is a pretty
coarse grain material and this adds texture that I find adds to the final
presentation. In this case that grain is not present.

There is a general article on the Phoenix Process at the folowing website:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-phoenix.html

There early examples of similar photogrpahs at:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/exhibit-2.html

andy