RE: filters and a long standing question

I really should avoid these discusions, but I can't help myself.

According to current quantum field theories (and these have been verified
by experiment to a huge number of decimal places' quantum electrodynamics
is probably the most experimentally verified of all physical theories), the
vacuum isn't really empty, but is actually filled with countless "virtual"
particles, continually popping into and then out of existence.  The
Heisenberg (sp?) Uncertainty principle in one of its many forms states that
there is an upper limit to measurements of the uncertainties of the energy
of a particle and the time interval in which it is measured.   For very
bried time intervals, it is perfecty possible for a photons to materialize
out of nothingness (in pairs, spin is conserved), as long as they
dissappear within that same time interval.   Sounds crazy, but these
virtual photons have real affects that can be measured.

Dan C.